Cobham Aerospace Connectivity has a requirement for a Senior RF Design Engineer. This person is directly responsible to the Electronics Design Team Lead – Technology, implementing RF design activities in support of all deliverable products required to satisfy our NATO JEWCS contract. This is a key NATO program for the design and development of operational training electronic warfare pods.
This position is based at Bournemouth International Airport located at Hurn, Christchurch.
As a Senior RF Design Engineer, your skills and qualifications will ideally include:
Essential Personal Skill & Attributes:
- Bachelor Degree in Science/Technology or suitable equivalent.
- Credentials to or have the ability to be cleared to UK SC level.
- Proven track record of at least 5 years’ experience designing RF products up to 6GHz.
- RF system design - link and power budgets and noise figure analysis.
- Good knowledge of current RF technologies including – low noise receiver design, RF sampling ADCs and DACs, Oscillator / Synthesisers, digital attenuators, receiver protectors, lumped-element filter design.
- Proven hands-on RF design and simulation software experience (preferably ADS, Momentum or Microwave Office). CST simulation experience would be desirable but not essential.
- Knowledge of RF Antenna Systems and awareness of Phase Array Antennas.
- Good knowledge of power supply design, amplifier gating, circuits, etc.
- Experience in multi-page schematic capture and layout preferably using Altium.
- Experience in developing mixed technology PCBs incorporating RF and digital aspects using multi-layer substrates.
- Ability to write and deploy software to automate test equipment.
- Awareness of digital signal processing of RF and baseband signals.
- Knowledge of GPS and its vulnerabilities would be advantageous but not essential.
- Good knowledge of modern RF test equipment – VNA, RF Power Meter, RF Signal generator, RF Spectrum Analyser.
- Experience of deriving and capturing system level requirements from high level customer requirements preferably using IBM DOORS NG.
- Experience of developing, writing and implementing test and verification plans for RF sub-systems and complete systems.
- Experience of writing technical requirements for connectorized RF components & sub-systems.
- Experience of evaluating technical proposals from suppliers of RF components & sub-systems.
- Experience in Project life-cycle delivery from bids to operation.
- Computer literate – MS Office Software.
Desirable Personal Skill & Attributes:
- Knowledge of common interface busses such as SPI, I2C and PMBus would be advantageous.
- Knowledge of Industry Standards – ISO 9001, AS9100, Def Stan 00-56, DO178, etc.
- Knowledge of UK Civil Aviation Regulations – CAA/EASA.
- Experience of design or manufacturing in the aviation industry.
- Experience in Quality Management System management within an aviation environment.
- Experience in Safety Management System management within an aviation or engineering environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication Skills. Ability to interface and effectively influence and negotiate with internal and external customers at all levels.
- Excellent problem solving skills, utilising experience, sound judgment and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent time management skills, with the ability to achieve deadlines.
- Maintain high levels of integrity, work ethic and confidentiality and use discretion appropriately.
- Self-motivated, resilient with the ability to hold their own.
- Consistently demonstrate a commitment to company values.
As a Senior RF Design Engineer – NATO JEWCS your main responsibilities will involve:
- Designing RF systems and sub-systems to meet the requirements of NATO JEWCS.
- Design and develop RF sub-systems for new electronic warfare equipment.
- Use design expertise to create RF design solutions to electronic warfare engineering problems, particularly those relating to operational requirements for radar jammers and simulators for NATO JEWCS.
- Develop and maintain some knowledge of International Radar and Communications equipment types and function to enable solutions to electronic warfare engineering problems to be achieved.
- Carry out peer review of designs and technical proposals authored by other engineers from an RF point of view.
- Comply with Cobham Safety Standards.
- Maintain positive and constructive relationships with all internal and external stakeholders and customers.
- Ad Hoc / Out-of-Hours work during urgent / unforeseen business requirements.
Any other reasonable duties which may requested by Electronics Design Team Lead - Technology that falls within the scope / capability of the incumbent.
Cobham Aerospace Connectivity
Manufacturers of secure, reliable communications and navigation systems
We are innovative system integrators with a pedigree of capability in Communications, Navigation and Electronic Warfare for aerospace and defence. Through continual innovation, we are able to supply highly resilient, totally dependable systems with low through-life costs that deliver outstanding performance and value. Our air, land and maritime products include Antenna Systems, Anti-Jam GPS, Radio, Audio, Air Traffic Management Systems and Electronic Warfare.