Cobham Aerospace Connectivity are looking for a Systems Lead Project Engineer to join their team based in Marlow, Buckinghamshire.
As the Systems Lead Project Engineer, you will have responsibility for leading the engineers within integrated project teams. You will have a systems thinking mind-set, coupled with knowledge of project management techniques where you will support the programme manager.
You will be involved in bid opportunities for a product line area, and where successful, progress these into live project execution up until customer delivery. You will work with the programme manager and engineering leads to plan the scope of work, then lead and coordinate the activities to ensure cost and schedule requirements are attained, delegating responsibility across the various functions as appropriate.
The role demands sufficient breadth of technical leadership, to ensure data driven decisions can be taken to provide decisive direction to the engineering team with the support of Subject Matter Experts and the Design Authority. You will ensure processes are followed by providing sufficient governance of the engineering development activities.
Building effective relationships with stakeholders and effective collaboration are key attributes which the Systems Lead Project Engineer will require. This is a challenging role, but highly rewarding to see products from concept through to customer delivery and beyond
Cobham, the leading global technology and services innovator have a fantastic to work on our market leading products providing Microwave, RF antenna and Electronic Design within the Aerospace Connectivity Business Unit of Cobham’s Communications and Connectivity Sector. Our products are designed for air, land and sea to high specifications and with new products coming through you will be involved in exciting technical challenges.
Cobham Aerospace Connectivity design and manufacture active and passive avionics antennas and electronic control systems for military and civil communications, navigation and search and rescue applications. We pioneered frequency agile VHF tuneable antennas and continue to be a key supplier to major avionics companies. Our GPS anti-jam technology utilises state of the art DSP algorithms with an active antenna to eliminate both narrow-band and wide-band jamming signals. We have world leading technology in Ground Penetrating Radar and RF interference mitigation. Both military and civil users rely on our direction finding systems for search and rescue operations. We develop and manufacture high specification sector and multi-sector, directional, omni-directional, ultra-wideband (UWB) and MIMO antennas.
As a Systems Lead Project Engineer your key responsibilities will include:
- Provide technical leadership for the overall engineering team, covering all functions.
- Gather and review engineering inputs for the generation of estimates for bid opportunities.
- Delivering whole lifecycle systems engineering activities within projects, from concept through to in-service.
- Report progress to the programme management and other stakeholders, internal and external.
- Using experience of project management techniques, work closely with the programme manager to plan, track and monitor the status of the activities under your remit.
- Accountable for ensuring the team performs within the constraints (scope, schedule, cost, risk and quality) of the assigned projects.
- Support and/or lead meetings with customers and internal design reviews, including preparation of documentation.
- Ensure the team are applying strict adherence to process compliance, regulation and other business policies.
- Providing expert advice and guidance to mentor the project team, driving best practice through consistency and reduced complexity.
- Identifying opportunities for productivity and cost improvements.
- Protect the Intellectual Property rights of the company.
- Ensure effective knowledge management approaches are embedded.
- Ensure effective lessons learned approaches are utilised, to capture the information and ensure our processes are appropriately updated as a result on a continuous basis.
- Act as the first point of escalation for internal project issues.
- Ensure effective use of the allocated systems resources and close relationship with programme managers and the heads of disciplines for determining manpower requirements.
- Technical management of external suppliers and outsource providers, including technical governance.
- Ensure the team have appropriate training, development tools and processes to be successful.
As a Systems Lead Project Engineer your key skills and experience should ideally include:
- A recognised technology based degree, supported by sufficient experience to prove application of systems engineering across the lifecycle.
- A proven track record in leading technical activity in complex projects.
- Proven ability to deliver projects to cost and schedule.
- Able to technically mentor and instruct engineers, who are assigned to support you in the execution of the project.
- Proven experience in Systems Engineering within a safety critical industry, ideally with experience of ARP4754A.
- Use of a requirements management toolsets such as DOORS-NG to perform system requirements validation, decomposition with traceability or to manage the verification of the requirements through a full product lifecycle
- Experience working in an environment where the development team are located in different sites and countries.
- Experience of different development methodologies, such as Agile and Waterfall.
- Experience in Project Management toolsets, such Microsoft Project.
About Cobham Aerospace Connectivity
Manufacturers of secure, reliable communications and navigation systems
We are innovative system integrators with a pedigree of capability in Communications, Navigation and Electronic Warfare for aerospace and defence. Through continual innovation, we are able to supply highly resilient, totally dependable systems with low through-life costs that deliver outstanding performance and value. Our air, land and maritime products include Antenna Systems, Anti-Jam GPS, Radio, Audio, Air Traffic Management Systems and Electronic Warfare.